Thursday, November 14, 2013

Book Review - GABRIELLA


Book Review - GABRIELLA
Rating: 4/5 stars

Before I read this book, I didn’t know that books can be written this way. I am reluctant to call it erotica, which typically contains little character development. The characters in this book are far from perfect, but I cared about them. I wanted them to succeed, to get what they want and defeat their opponents. Above all, I wanted them to be able to change their lives, their predetermined destinies for the classes they belong to. Despite a seemingly happy ending, however, what we learn is they can’t.

The tension, jointly created by sports and love affairs, is skillfully maintained throughout the book. I also like a lot of the descriptions in which words are accurately chosen. I was somehow disturbed by the frequent changes of point-of-view, though, especially during the first quarter of the book. There are advantages of knowing exactly what everybody is thinking; on the other hand, sexual play is at its best when the situation is ambiguous. And for a “chinless wonder” like Algy, there is no need to go inside his head to know what he’s thinking. The actions are enough.

Overall, there is a lot of drama in the book, which isn’t likely to happen in real life. But there were moments when I saw the clamor fading away, and the dark, cold reality behind. There is nothing wrong with being naked in public; it is only wrong when people aren’t given a fair chance to prove themselves. For anybody who thinks there is no literary value in erotic stories, I suggest that they read this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments highly appreciated! - Fiona