Saturday, October 12, 2013

How to make an effective book trailer (Part I)


What’s the best way to market your book? No, the answer is not “to make an effective book trailer”. The answer is --- do everything, and work hard! I can safely say so, because if you were an established author who got a team working for you in a major publishing house, you wouldn’t be reading this post. You are most likely a self-published author, just like me, waiting for those bloggers to write book reviews for you. Their reviews can help you a lot. However, just like anything else in the world, it’s always good to rely on what you can do. There is always something you can control.

I know you wrote a masterpiece, but I don’t know what it is. Neither do millions of readers who may enjoy it. No, wait! Don’t go ahead and make a book trailer and publish it on Youtube. Hold on! Don’t try to reach out to the readers unless you’ve studied them carefully. They are all different, but there are common traits.

Rule #1. They are called “the modern impatient readers.” The best length of a book trailer should be 30 to 60 sec, roughly. If you are someone I know, I’ll watch through your 2-min trailer. Otherwise, I’ll most likely quit in the middle, even though I know the best stuff is usually kept at the end (Is it?). Don’t blame me, or the other million readers like me. The Internet has so many goodies. One minute is a long time.

Rule #2. Readers are overwhelmed with their choices. Your trailer has to be strikingly different from or better than other trailers in your genre. Why? Because otherwise, why should they read your book instead of someone else’s? You are likely to have five to ten sentences in your 1-min trailer. There should be at least one sentence/idea that is completely unpredicted, and it’s better to be the ending sentence. The rule varies with genre, but ideally, every sentence should be unique, impressive, or unpredicted. I’ll use my trailer as an example. Sorry, you’ll have to bear with my self-promotion if you want to finish this post.


Here are the sentences that appeared in the trailer:

“An agricultural country in a modern war.” This adds contrast. It wouldn’t have worked if it were “An industrial country in a modern war”.
“Two brilliant men and one manipulative woman.” A-man-and-a-woman implies something. “Two” provokes interest. (Don’t get me wrong. I don’t write erotica.)
“Old wisdom vs. advanced technology, which wins?” Another contrast, but this one is quite common.
“Failure vs. truth, which is more unbearable?” I like this one a lot. It makes you wonder what kind of truth it is.
“Death is neither the worst nor the end.” I don’t need to comment on this one, do I?

The words in the trailer serve as a pitch. They don’t need to cover the major story. They don’t even need to be accurate! For example, the woman is not just manipulative. Above all, she is a sweet, smart, upright, and powerful woman. However, these words are not as “interesting”. The sole purpose of the wording is to HOOK. To make the readers want to read the book. They’ll have plenty opportunities to find out about the woman later. Hook! But of course, the words need to be relevant; otherwise readers will feel cheated.


To be continued …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments highly appreciated! - Fiona